Search This Blog

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Wedding

Creative writing prompt:  And then I saw it...
the perfect sari for my daughter's wedding.  Oh, no, not for her. She already has her dress, in the Western style. She's marrying a local boy.  My other two daughters will stand with her: they already have their dresses, too, in light pink.  There were two saris there on the sale rack in the light pink, one with silver decorations and one with multi-colored.
The tall Punjabi saleswoman draped it and I looked in the mirror.  Something wasn't right.  Maybe it would have worked when I was younger.  I was disappointed.  My husband was disappointed.
I turned back to the rack.  It was the top of my budget range.  I couldn't go anywhere else.  I'd seen possibilities in the first two shops, but I had thought this one was perfect.  Right next to the two light pink, a bolder pink with delicate silver beading caught my eye. I had thought it was too dark.
Shopping in India is a community affair.  You never walk in and pick your own size from a rack of all the same style. There is always a salesperson to advise you, and usually some bystanders giving opinions too.  If you do successfully negotiate a purchase, you are likely to get any number of curious bystanders asking how your bargaining was (or commenting on its deficiencies).

No comments:

Post a Comment